Re: Unsubscribing in order to killfile one individual. Was: Re: WARNING! New Perl/Perl-base upgrade removes 141 Sid/Unstable packages

On Monday 10 October 2016 19:04:22 Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:20:22 +0100
>
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I accepted that analogy too easily.  In this case, the wheel isn't
> > squeaking. He dislikes the colour and design of the wheel.
>
> Or perhaps it has been squeaking for so long that nobody hears it any
> more. Aptitude does a great job of routine upgrades, but if I've left
> an unstable for a month or more without upgrading, I wouldn't consider
> using it, it doesn't deal gracefully with hundreds of upgrades.

I accept that.  But I would also suggest that jacks of all trades are usually
masters of none, and perhaps Aptitude is the wrong tool for you for that
particular job.

Libre Office does word processing MUCH better than Kwrite.  Does this mean
that Kwrite is a squeaky tool because it is bad at WP, or does it mean that I
oughtn't to try to use it for that purpose?  (LO, conversely,is bad at script
editing, for which I love Kwrite.)

Horses for courses.  If Aptitude is not the ideal tool for everything, that
doesn't make it a squeaky wheel.  It just means that it shouldn't be used for
everything.

Lisi