Re: Recommendation: Backup system

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 10:48:57 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 11:37:31AM +0200, mo wrote:
> > Make a long story short:
> > Have you guys a recommendation for me?
> > Is there a specific application you use for your backups guys?
>
> rdiff-backup[1]. I don't know what your NAS is, whether it's an off-the-shelf
> thing or a DIY system, but I tend to initiate the backups on my NAS (which is
> a Debian-powered mini itx PC). You can initiate from the clients instead if
> you prefer.
>
> rdiff-backup is, conceptually, quite similar to the level of detail you are
> working at with your script, so it should be easy to get working. I'd also
> consider looking at Obnam[2], and I'd avoid rsnapshot if I were you (it
> falls over with large quantities of files, such as mailboxes, and rdiff-backup
> basically does the same job but better).

Interesting, thanks. I've been using rsnapshot for years, and am
basically satisfied with it, although the performance when run on my
T61 laptop (backing up to a (slow) USB external disk) is indeed painful
(I do have largeish Maildirs). [Interestingly, when run on my ARM
(Kirkland) NAS, pulling from the laptop over ethernet / wifi,
performance seems much better ...]

One thing I really like about rsnapshot is how the backups are all
stored just as the files themselves, without any special formats, and
can therefore be inspected / restored from using just the ordinary
filesystem tools.

A number of years ago I looked at rdiff-backup, but dropped it due to
suspicions of the code quality: the project seemed to be dead, and even
significant bugs were being ignored:

I see that you, too, have a report that's been ignored for more than 5
years ;)

Am I being unreasonable? You are certainly more of an expert than I - I
suppose you find that it is quality software, and better than
rsnapshot, despite basically being dead?

Celejar