Re: url redirected in chrome/chromium, but working fine, according to ping/traceroute, lynx, w3m, iceweasel.

I'm not the OP, and I'm sort of piggybacking and going somewhat (or a lot?)
OT, but I am curious about how old inet4 (right term?) and the new inet6
addresses interact.

When I do ifconfig, I see that eth0 has both a 32 bit (e.g., 192.168.1.19) and
an inet6 address assigned.

Can anybody point me to a fairly short document that explains things like
which gets used under what circumstances, does one have precedence over the
other, do they both use DNS, and similar things which might let me make sense
of the situation?