Re: kernel 4.7.0 and nvidia

Can the kernel-module be built? I suggest, to use the *-dkms stuff for
> > building. If this does not work, you may try the drivers from the nvidia
> > site directly. Before installiing this, get rid of all nvidia packages
> > (i.e. apt- get --purge remove nvidia-*). Check before saying "y", that no
> > other unwanted packages are iremoved.
>
> How?  I’ll purge all nvidia packages, then install nvidia-kernel-dkms?

No. no. First purge all nvidia packages. Then go to the nvidia site and
download the installer. It is an executable named NViidia-some-version.run.

Choose the correct one for your architecture. After download make it
executable and execute it. Note, that there may no olf kernel-module be
loaded. (If so, unload it: rmmod nvidia)

The other way is to use the nvidia-kernel-dkms packages. I prefer these before
the already built packages. However, sometimes it fails to build, so I take
the NVidia****.run as substitute.

Try both solutions. Maybe one will work.

Happy hacking!

Hans