Re: kernel 4.7.0 and nvidia

Op Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:45:46 +0200 schreef Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de>:

Can the kernel-module be built? I suggest, to use the *-dkms stuff for
> building. If this does not work, you may try the drivers from the nvidia
> site directly. Before installiing this, get rid of all nvidia packages
> (i.e. apt- get --purge remove nvidia-*). Check before saying "y", that no
> other unwanted packages are iremoved.

How?  I’ll purge all nvidia packages, then install nvidia-kernel-dkms?

No. no. First purge all nvidia packages. Then go to the nvidia site and
download the installer. It is an executable named NViidia-some-version.run.

Choose the correct one for your architecture. After download make it
executable and execute it. Note, that there may no olf kernel-module be
loaded. (If so, unload it: rmmod nvidia)

The other way is to use the nvidia-kernel-dkms packages. I prefer these before the already built packages. However, sometimes it fails to build, so I take
the NVidia****.run as substitute.

Try both solutions. Maybe one will work.

Happy hacking!

Hans

or build the latest version (370.28) yourself
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Building_newer_releases_from_SVN

from the changelog:

Release highlights since 370.23:
Added support for the following GPU:
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels.