Re: [Q] hostname change: i tried for 83 days. But failed. HELP ME PLEASE !!!

On Sunday 02 October 2016 02:06:44 Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) wrote:

> Hello, Debian people!
>
> I love my Chromebook. Via Crouton, i did install Ubuntu ( the internal
> is Debian Wheezy, i guess).
>
> (precise)soyeomul@localhost:/etc$ cat os-release
> NAME="Ubuntu"
> VERSION="12.04.5 LTS, Precise Pangolin"
> ID=ubuntu
> ID_LIKE=debian
> PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu precise (12.04.5 LTS)"
> VERSION_ID="12.04"
>
> (precise)soyeomul@localhost:/etc$ cat debian_version
> wheezy/sid
> (precise)soyeomul@localhost:/etc$
>
> By the way i cannot change hostname, i tried with followed link
> [http://askubuntu.com/questions/9540/how-do-i-change-the-computer-name
>].
>
> By sudo command, i edited /etc/hostname to "alex.chromebook". And i
> did reboot[`/sbin/reboot']. But there is no change. Always the
> hostname is "localhost".
>
> Any comments Welcome!!! because i am going to be crazy T.T
>
> I Want To "alex.chromebook" as hostname.

The hostname command is both a query tool, and a name setter.  "man
hostname" is your friend.  You'll probably be asked for your passwd, or
need to become root somehow. On the *buntu's try sudo hostname.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)