Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On Sunday 02 October 2016 08:41:50 Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 12:52:44PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > [Some snipping. Not too much, I hope].

> > > Doing an strace on the exim command shows that /etc/nsswitch is
> > > consulted first, then /etc/resolv.conf (followed by a DNS lookup
> > > of the smarthost).
> >
> > This is what I cannot get round. I'm prepared to accept that my
> > understanding may be defective but when I see "driver = dnslookup"
> > in router/200_exim4-config_primary it fits what I observe. Which is
> > why I use a hubbed_hosts file to manually route mail to machines on
> > the LAN.

> > > No alterations I can remember, and 'dpkg --verify' reports no
> > > changes to exim4-related files. All customisations have been done
> > > via debconf. I am reluctant to divulge those customisations here,
> > > but I can tell you that the settings are not particularly exotic.
> > > One host on the local network is configured to use my ISP's SMTP
> > > server as its smarthost, while the other hosts in turn use the
> > > former as their smarthost.
> >
> > I have the same setup and all customisations (apart from
> > hubbed_hosts) have been done via debconf. TBH, I cannot see why
> > /etc/hosts should be consulted because I thought there is first a
> > check for an MX record and then an attempt to resolve the host
> > *using the DNS* if there was none.
> >
> > Your instructions are clear so I can continue to try more
> > customising via debconf.
> >
> > mo appears to have had no more success than I have. Don't know about
> > Mark.
> >
> > --
> > Brian
>
> That's twice you've mentioned conf.d now, bear in mind in a
> defaults-accepting Debian installation of exim4, it's not used.
>
> Mark

Uuh, Mark, here on an up to date wheezy install, with exim4's default
config untouched, it does indeed exist, as /etc/exim4/conf.d, and its
populated with quite a few subdirs.
=========
gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /etc/exim4/conf.d
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 acl
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 auth
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 main
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 retry
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 rewrite
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 router
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  4 21:35 transport
Based on the dates, I have to assume exim4 was pulled in as a dependency
of something else I installed recently since this wheezy install is
around 2 years old now. It's installation did not effect how my machine
runs that I am aware of. According to htop, no daemon of that name is
currently running.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)