Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On 2016-10-02, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 11:22:06PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>>
>> We all know a hubbed_hosts file works. Mark Fletcher has written
>> extensively about it and I have said a thing or too also. What I want to
>> know is why following the advice from Liam O'Toole doesn't work for me,
>> even though I have followed the instructions exactly.
>>

> I think Liam is describing a situation where the only mail-capable
> machine is the server, in your example gnome.monet. He configured it to
> be the end-point for *.monet. But for mo's original use-case, gnome
> should only be the end-point for gnome.monet and desktop should be the
> end-point for desktop.monet. Then, if gnome.monet gets handed a mail for
> desktop.monet, it doesn't try to deliver it, but instead tries to pass
> it on, and that's when you need hubbed_hosts populated so it can find
> desktop.monet to pass it on to.
>
> So Liam has consistently been describing a solution that, while
> perfectly valid, is the solution to a slightly different problem than
> the one mo originally asked about.
>
> Mark

My setup is more or less as you describe. The only difference is that
all machines are mail capable and use the local server as their
smarthost, while the server in turn uses an external smarthost.

Brian seems to be experiencing a more fundamental issue, where exim
refuses to resolve domain names in the expected manner. That one has me
stumped.

--

Liam