Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 11:22:06PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> We all know a hubbed_hosts file works. Mark Fletcher has written
> extensively about it and I have said a thing or too also. What I want to
> know is why following the advice from Liam O'Toole doesn't work for me,
> even though I have followed the instructions exactly.

I think Liam is describing a situation where the only mail-capable
machine is the server, in your example gnome.monet. He configured it to
be the end-point for *.monet. But for mo's original use-case, gnome
should only be the end-point for gnome.monet and desktop should be the
end-point for desktop.monet. Then, if gnome.monet gets handed a mail for
desktop.monet, it doesn't try to deliver it, but instead tries to pass
it on, and that's when you need hubbed_hosts populated so it can find
desktop.monet to pass it on to.

So Liam has consistently been describing a solution that, while
perfectly valid, is the solution to a slightly different problem than
the one mo originally asked about.

Mark