Re: Configuring Exim for mail delivery

On 2016-10-01, mo <mo777@gmx.net> wrote:
> First of all:
> Thank you Liam for your help! :)
> Thanks for the very nice and long explanation Mark! :)
>
> I think i should elaborate a little more on my setup.. i guess i did not
> make that very clear in the first place, sorry about that.
>
> My network is consisting of the following systems:
>
> Main PC - 192.168.23.11  (Running Debian Jessie)
> Server  - 192.168.23.200 (Running Debian Jessie)
>
> The server is always online, the PC is only half of the day on.
>
> What i want to do now is the following:
>
> Sending mail from my Main PC to my Server and also the other way around,
> from the Server to my Main PC.
> The Server should also be able to send mail to the "outside" (Meaning to
> other SMTP servers).
> The second requirement is optional since i dont own a domain and all
> this is sitting locally at my home. The most important thing for me is
> to send and receive mail from both systems in my home network.
> I hope this made my problem a little clearer :)
>
> I'm a little ashamed to say that, but i could not totally follow your
> explanations Mark... I'm quite a newbie when it comes to SMTP.. sorry :(
>
> Thanks again for all your help ;)
>
> Greets
>
> mo

I should have been a little clearer myself. You don't need to register a
domain name. Just invent your own domain name for local purposes. Let's
say you choose the domain name "monet", and that you have already given
the hostnames "desktop" and "server" to your two machines. Then you
would edit the file /etc/hosts on both machines to contain the following
lines:

	192.168.23.11 desktop.monet desktop
	192.168.23.200 server.monet server

Now you only need to tell exim4 on the server that it is the final
destination for emails to *.monet, again using the debconf wizard. You
will then be able to send emails to local addresses, while emails to all
other domains will go through your ISP's smarthost.

Incidently, you can also tell exim4 on the desktop to use the server as
its smarthost.

I realise that you're getting lots of (sometimes contradictory)
information from various sources. The barebones configuration I have
described above has served me well for several years.

If you add more machines to your network later on you should consider
setting up local DHCP and DNS instead of manually updating /etc/hosts
files. But we'll leave that for another day. :)

--

Liam