Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 11:12:25 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, September 30, 2016 10:46:16 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > We are talking about right now.  The name CUPS is clearly an acronym
> > that stands for Common Unix Printing System (or "UNIX" if you prefer).
> > Everyone who uses CUPS knows this.  It's the dirty little secret that
> > Apple can no longer admit, because lawyers.
>
> This is really a reply to Brian, but I'm quoting the above paragraph to
> respond.
>
> I'm talking about the past!
>
> It is often useful to know the origin of a term--among other things, it is
> sometimes more meaningful, as in this case.

That is a very good point. If you were to ask xorg upstream why the X
Window system is called "X Window" it is possible you would be told that
it is the successor to the W Window system. This doesn't tell you
exactly what it does but it does take a little of the mystery out of the
name.

> Common Unix Printing System was the (or close to the) original term.  The fact
> that it got changed for any reason doesn't keep my mind from thinking of it as
> the Common Unix Printing System, although I'm usually happy with the acronym /
> abbreviation CUPS.

I imagine there are many people who see the word "CUPS" as "Common Unix
Printing System"; it is natural because, as you say, it was known as
that for many years. No harm is done and it points to the software's
purpose and aids understanding. If CUPS still exists in thirty years the
meaning it had may very well have been forgotten. (Few people in the UK
remember what the HP in "HP sauce" originally stood for. It doesn't stop
them putting it on their fish and chips).

Maintaining that CUPS is an official acronym for "Common Unix Printing
System" has, so far, not been substantiated.

--
Brian.