Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Friday 30 September 2016 16:12:59 Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:51:27 +0100
>
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > No.  That is why I said "most of it", not "all of it".
> >
> > It isn't *any* of it.
> >
> > > If we are talking about British Institutions ...  Do you even remember
> > > Consignia???  Did you even for one moment stop calling it the Post
> > > Office? Lawyers are one thing.  What people are prepared to say
> > > another.  I certainly never heard anyone say "I'm popping down to
> > > Consignia to post a letter".
> > >
> > > In that case, the people won of course.  Consignia is dead, the Post
> > > Office lives.
> > >
> > > CUPS was intended as Common Unix Printing System.  UNIX is a trademark
> > > so Apple couldn't use it.  So, unlike for the name Apple itself, where
> > > Mac lied to the court and seems to have got away with it,  Apple
> > > obediently stopped using the name and called it officially CUPS.  We,
> > > the people, continue to say Common Unix Printing System.
> >
> > ESP called it the "Common Unix Printing System". Apple doesn't. Why
> > should the wishes (and rights) of one company be respected but not those
> > of another?
> >
> > Apple has probably trademarked "Common Unix Printing System". The People
> > can continue to say what they want but it does not change the fact that
> > the official name of the software is CUPS. That is what Debian uses.
>
> CUPS package description says "The Common UNIX Printing System (or CUPS
> (tm))" for me. So Debian Project uses "Common UNIX Printing System" as
> well.

Thanks, Reco!  Hadn't thought of that. :
"lisi@Eros:~$ aptitude show CUPS
Package: cups
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
[snip]
Maintainer: Debian Printing Team <debian-printing@lists.debian.org>
[snip]
web interface
***** The Common UNIX Printing System***** (or CUPS(tm)) is a printing system
etc."

The stars are mine.  It does indeed seem to call it Common UNIX Printing
System!!!  Twice!!!

Lisi