Re: How to get an older emacs on Jessie

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

dist-upgrade doesn't happen automatically.  So yes, you can add the
above and then do something like

I appended this to my sources.list:

deb http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

and then ran:

# apt-get update

I kept rerunning:

# apt-get install --dry-run emacs23

until all the warnings subsided, meaning all the dependency problems were going to be resolved. It looked like this:

# apt-get install --dry-run emacs23-el emacs23-common emacs23-bin-common libjpeg8 libtiff4

Then I removed the '--dry-run' option and ran the apt-get install for real. It went smooth as silk, but -- more importantly for my purposes -- the resultant emacs23 ran perfectly with psgmlx and a debiandoc sgml document I had been using as test doc!

NB. I had installed viz. byte-compiled the psgmlx package with the emacs23 I yesterday built from source grabbed on http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ .

I am psyched. Now to post this over on the debian-doc list so the "answer" is there too.

As one who in an earlier incarnation made a fairly good, if occasional, buck tech-writing and -editing on linux topics (which income came to an abrupt halt when the "internet bubble" collapsed), I am here to say that debiandoc is an excellent publishing tool-chain. It is blessedly simple but complete for my needs, which means it is actually FUN to use!

Thanks all!

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is