Re: DHCP failure (was Re: Unidentified subject!)

Op Thu, 29 Sep 2016 01:18:02 +0200 schreef Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 03:30:04PM -0700, holtzm@cox.net wrote:
Clean install of deb8 (jessie)on my Thinkpad T4220i laptop. went well
except for the fact that the network configuration
with DCP failed.

I was given 3 options.
1) try it again. This was hope over experience.
2) configure manually. Great if I had the first inkling how. I'm a
complete neophyte when it
   comes to networking.
3) continue without configuring a network. The only one that would let
me continue the
   installation.

I have a functioning desktop pc so I compred some files w/ the laptop.

/etc/networks was identical as was /etc/network/interfaces (from what I
could see) and /etc/NetworkManager.

I looked at "man interfaces" but quickly got in over my head.

Multiple installs resulted in the same failure.

Normally, you would have a DHCP server, perhaps included in your
router, which would hand out local IP addresses.

Possible cause 1: you don't.

Possible cause 2: you do, but it is full or configured not to
give this machine an IP.

Most likely cause: underlying networking is not working right.

Ethernet or wifi?

What does "ip l" tell you? "ip a", too.

-dsr-

If it is wifi, I think you need the firmware-iwlwifi package from non-free for this laptop
https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

Floris