Unidentified subject!

Clean install of deb8 (jessie)on my Thinkpad T4220i laptop. went well
except for the fact that the network configuration
with DCP failed.

I was given 3 options.
1) try it again. This was hope over experience.
2) configure manually. Great if I had the first inkling how. I'm a
complete neophyte when it
   comes to networking.
3) continue without configuring a network. The only one that would let
me continue the
   installation.

I have a functioning desktop pc so I compred some files w/ the laptop.

/etc/networks was identical as was /etc/network/interfaces (from what I
could see) and /etc/NetworkManager.

I looked at "man interfaces" but quickly got in over my head.

Multiple installs resulted in the same failure.

Right now I feel like I'm drowning and could sure use a pointer or six.

If any more information is required (and I'm sure it is) let me know.

--
Bob Holtzman
A man is a man who will fight with a sword or