Can't set up network on Debian 8 fresh install [was: Unidentified subject!]

Hi, Bob.

Welcome.

First, a meta-suggestions

  Try to use a good subject line (I tried to modify it).
  This list is read by many volunteers, and is pretty high
  volume. Nobody reads everything. A good subject line
  will make it more probable that your mail is picked up
  by someone knowledgeable in the subject matter.

Comments interleaved in your main text

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 03:30:04PM -0700, holtzm@cox.net wrote:
> Clean install of deb8 (jessie)on my Thinkpad T4220i laptop. went well
> except for the fact that the network configuration
> with DCP failed.

This is probably DHCP. That means that the laptop tries to ask in
the local network for an IP address and gets assigned one by the
(local) DHCP server, which these days typically is the internet
router.

Question: is your Thinkpad connected to the local net via a
network cable? Or via WLAN?

Open a console. What is the output of the command

  /sbin/ifconfig

Could you paste it here?

> I was given 3 options.
> 1) try it again. This was hope over experience.

That means it isn't getting an answer to its DHCP requests. Most
probably it doesn't reach the network, but we can't know for sure
yet.

> 2) configure manually. Great if I had the first inkling how. I'm a
> complete neophyte when it
>    comes to networking.
> 3) continue without configuring a network. The only one that would let
> me continue the
>    installation.
>
> I have a functioning desktop pc so I compred some files w/ the laptop.

Perhaps the output of /sbin/ifconfig on the desktop PC would be
interesting here as well.

regards
- -- tomás