Re: Building Debian Package From Upstream Source

Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:00:03AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Especially when patches are needed, you shouldn't expect those
> > patches to apply to anything except the exact upstream version. The
> > work of a Debian package maintainer includes re-working the patches
> > for each version.
>
> OIC That's most likely the issue - I'll be patient and wait for
> the Debian maintainer to update.

You can also help out, if you want to exercise the skills: Figure out
the intent of those patches, get the Debian packaging VCS onto your
local environment, and see what has changed in the new version from
upstream that might affect the intent of the patches.

Debian package maintainers need people who can help out, and tangible
measurable work like this is a good way to get involved.

--
 \             “Skepticism is the highest duty and blind faith the one |
  `\               unpardonable sin.” —Thomas Henry Huxley, _Essays on |