Re: cant get to desktop anymore

On 09/21/2016 04:52 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 16:32, Stephen Powell wrote:

I did notice one thing peculiar.  startx output is written to the terminal
of vt1, of course, even though it's running as a background task.  And I got
the error message

modprobe: FATAL: Module mach64 not found in directory /lib/modules/xxx

where xxx is the identity of the running kernel.  Strange.  The kernel has
never had a mach64 module in it, as far as I know.  mach64 is the name
of the X driver, but there is no kernel module by that name.

One other thing I noticed.  It may or may not be related.  "web" (i.e.
epiphany-browser) is broken.  When I click on the icon for changing settings
(including listing bookmarks), nothing happens.  I switched back to chromium,
which seems to be working fine.

Lovely "upgrade", Debian!

There seems to be some sort of gtk3 issue, which screws up synaptic for me just like epiphany does for you. None of the drop downs work. That might account for your browser problem as well. Deity only knows, but running sid has finally lived up to the "can break" rep. I'm not crying about it, I'm holding the broken pieces and am willing to provide whatever logs needed by whomever is responsible. Cheers, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html