Re: cant get to desktop anymore

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016, at 19:57, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/18/2016 06:00 PM, Kent West wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 3:28 PM, bell canada <bellcanadardp@gmail.com
> > <mailto:bellcanadardp@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     hello i installed debian 8 and i cant get into my desktop..why plz help
> >
> >     roberto
> >     438 881 9269 <tel:438%20881%209269>
> >     all i get is ablack scren
> >     even recory mode doesnt help
> >

> > Do you get to a login prompt at all (graphical or text-based)?
> >
> > What happens if you press Ctrl-Alt-F2?
> If the OP would do that, login as his user and enter "startx", I bet a
> donut that he gets to his desktop. Mine is STILL boroken that way
> ...POS. synaptic isn't fixed yet. <sighs> Someone just shoot me. Ric

After a recent stretch upgrade, I experienced a similar problem.
I use the XFCE4 desktop environment, the lightdm login daemon, and
systemd as my init system.

After "upgrading" and rebooting, I got a black screen with a mouse pointer.
And that was it.  I used the following procedure as a work-around:

I used Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text console.  I logged in as root.
I issued

systemctl stop lightdm.service
systemctl disable lightdm.service

then I exited the root login session, logged in on the text console
as my normal non-superuser self, and issued

startx -- vt7 &

This brought up my normal XFCE4 desktop on vt7, bypassing the lightdm login
daemon.  Of course after a reboot, the two systemctl commands won't be
needed.  The lightdm service will no longer start.

I did notice one thing peculiar.  startx output is written to the terminal
of vt1, of course, even though it's running as a background task.  And I got
the error message

modprobe: FATAL: Module mach64 not found in directory /lib/modules/xxx

where xxx is the identity of the running kernel.  Strange.  The kernel has
never had a mach64 module in it, as far as I know.  mach64 is the name
of the X driver, but there is no kernel module by that name.

I obviously don't like using this work-around, but I can at least limp
along until somebody somewhere fixes this problem.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :