Re: mysql broken after jessie upgrade

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 01:07:49PM +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 22/09/16 12:56, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:43:18PM +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> >> Running Jessie here. Performed apt-get upgrade yesterday, which included
> >> a new version of mysql.
> >
> >> I now cannot connect to mysql:
> >> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> >> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> >
> >> Any suggestions on how to fix, please?
> >
> > Is the mysql daemon running? Try "service mysqld status" or however
> > that's named in the brave new systemd world (I'm still in the messy
> > old sysv world, mind you ;-)
> >
> Thanks tomas;
>
> No, it's not:
> 13:03:23 tony@tony-fr:~$ sudo service mysqld status
> Failed to dump process list, ignoring: Unit mysqld.service not found.
> ● mysqld.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> But:
> 13:03:36 tony@tony-fr:~$ sudo service mysql status
> ● mysql.service - LSB: Start and stop the mysql database server daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mysql; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
>    Active: active (exited) since Thu 2016-09-22 12:32:43 CEST; 32min ago
>      Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
>   Process: 21125 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mysql start (code=exited,
> status=0/SUCCESS)

Actually that looks good -- that just means that the service is called
'mysql', not 'mysqld'. If I read this systemd runes correctly that means
that systemd is just calling the 'classical' init script for mysql and
that all seems OK.

You might check whether there's a process called (more or less) mysql
around:

  ps wwwaux | grep mysql

you might have a look into wherever mysql places its log files (unless
they've been kidnapped by systemd, in which case I'd have to defer to
smarter people; but I don't believe that). Look somewhere in /var/log/mysql.

Then you might try to invoke (gasp!) "/etc/init.d/mysql start" (as root)
yourself and see whether it spews any error messages giving any clues.

Then you could issue an "netstat -antp" as root, to see whether the
mysql daemon is listening on some other (non-default) port.

> Ariège, France     |

Wonderful region, btw. I've got warm and sweet memories from summer
2015...

regards
- -- t