Re: cant get to desktop anymore

On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 09:31:10 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 08:33:23PM -0400, Neal P. Murphy wrote:
> > <CTRL><ALT><F7> will reach the X11 session. If it started. If not, it could be that a default xdm session (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc.) wasn't selected or a desktop 'task' wasn't installed.
> >
> > Console #7 is the standard console used for X11. Console #1 is the default console when there is no default X11 session.
>
> That was true in wheezy.  It's not true in jessie.
>
> In jessie, running with systemd by default, the display manager takes
> over the *first* virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1).  The first console with
> a getty is therefore Ctrl-Alt-F2.

We must be using different Jessies. gdm3 with GNOME comes up on vt7.

> Of course, if there is no display manager installed at all, then Ctrl-Alt-F1
> should have a getty running on it once the system boots.  But as soon as
> you run startx, X takes over the *first* console (not the seventh)
> and you're right back to the same situation as if you had used a display
> manager.

Not my experience.

> (I use startx on jessie, so I speak from direct personal experience,
> tested right now.)

>From the xinit changelog:

  * 10-startx-Under-Linux-start-X-on-the-current-VT.patch,
    11-startx-Pass-vtX-as-long-as-the-user-did-not-specify-.patch: By default
    start the server on the current VT, this is necessary to avoid logind to
    see the startx session as inactive (Closes: #743015 LP: #1247484)

--
Brian.