Re: Sound on jessie

Alan McConnell wrote:

> [...]

Usually there is a problem with something muted, so if pulse is OK go down
and check alsamixer.

If for some reason alsamixer (alsa-utils) is not in ubunto - I don't know.

If this does not help provide information on your audio chip

lspci | grep Audio

cat /sys/bus/hdaudio/devices/hdaudioC0D0/chip_name
ALC3226

It could be (writing from experience) that new kernel with drivers enabled
HDMI for your chipset and now you have a different cards order - If you
have HDMI audio, you may try disabling this in bios.

regards

PS: To all "recommending" - Knoppix - it is great, but it is not the way to
put it forward here (IMO).
Now that we know Alan is using Ubuntu, he could even try ubuntu live in
former or current version to compare.