Re: exim4 some config error causing error how to pinpoint

On 2016-09-15, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Mail never appears at HOST1 /var/spool/mail/user2
>>>

>> Does user2 appear in the file /etc/aliases on HOST1? Is there a
> No
>
>> /home/user2/.forward file on that host? Either of those would cause mail
> No
>
>> Is there anything suspicious in the file /var/log/exim4/mainlog on
>> HOST1?
> Yes, there is this bit that seems to indicate that the message is
> being processed by procmail.
>
> dv.local.lan is HOST1  smarthost set to smtp.gmail.com
> d2.local.lan is HOST2  smarthost set to HOST1
>
> There is a user named `harry' on both hosts.
>
> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
> 2016-09-15 12:40:29 1bkZi9-0000Ne-MU <= harry@d2.local.lan H=(d2.local.lan) [192.168.1.17] P=esmtp S=608 id=E1bkZa7-0006Mb-CG@d2.local.lan
> 2016-09-15 12:40:31 1bkZi9-0000Ne-MU => harry <harry@dv> R=procmail T=procmail_pipe
> 2016-09-15 12:40:31 1bkZi9-0000Ne-MU Completed
> 2016-09-15 12:52:31 Start queue run: pid=1574
> 2016-09-15 12:52:31 End queue run: pid=1574
> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>
> There is a ~/.procmailrc for user2 but no specifc recipe that would
> grab mail addressed to USER2@HOST1 (harry@dv).
>
> However my .procmailrc has a final rule that catches anything not
> already handled:
>
>  :0
>   post_ex.in
>
> However the mail addressed user2@host1 is not going to that inbox (or
> any other) either.
>
> But dropping that mystery for the time being there seems to be
> something bigger happening.
>
> Since my previous post I have found that all those test messages to
> user2 and user1 on HOST1 from HOST2 are being sent out to the
> HOST1 smarthost and piling up as undeleverable on a gmail account.  My
> smarthost is smtp.gmail.com
>
> I guess that does make sense.  However I guess I just supposed that
> somehow HOST1 would magically know not to try to send mail from other
> lan hosts addressed to users on HOST1, out to the internet smarthost.
>
> Maybe I need some other mechanism for that to happen?
>
> To summarize the setup again very briefly... since it seems to be
> getting more confusing ... at least to me.
>
> HOST1 is setup to relay mail from its users to an internet smarthost
> (smtp.gmail.com).
>
> HOST2 is setup to relay mail from its users to HOST1 as its smarthost
>
> When I try to send a message from USER@HOST2 to USER@HOST1, instead of
> just delivering to USER@HOST1 it appears to be sending that message on
> to the gmail smtp server.
>
> The local lan is not a real FQDN so not suprising that the gmail
> server cannot deliver it.... but how to prevent that local mail from
> being sent to gmail server to start with?

You need to tell exim4 on HOST1 that it is the 'final destination' for
emails within your local network. If you go back through the debconf
questions for exim4-config, you'll be asked about 'Other destinations
for which mail is accepted'. In your case the answer should be
'*.local.lan'. Then local emails will no longer be forwarded upstream.
Obviously, you will need to ensure that the various local fully
qualified domain names are resolvable, either by running your own DNS or
maintaining /etc/host files correctly.

--

Liam