Re: exim4 some config error causing error how to pinpoint

On 2016-09-13, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've attempted to setup exim4 on a second debian OS, using the
> working configuration from the older one.
>
> Before getting too detailed I think I see something in output of my
> debug technique that indicated somewhere my host is telling exim the
> wrong host name.
>
> (dv is host with working config )
>
> I use this technique; sending a mail like this:
> mailx -v -s "TEST 160912_211756 dv" reader@newsguy.com < ~/txtmsg.txt
>
> I run that command then watch the smtp output from the little
> test script named `tmail'.
>
> On the working host the first bit of output:
>
>  $ tmail reader@newsguy.com
> sending like this:
> mailx -v -s "TEST 160912_211756 dv" reader@newsguy.com < ~/txtmsg.txt
> LOG: MAIN
>  <= harry@dv U=harry P=local S=546
>
> [...]
>
> Now the second, non-working host:
>
>  tmail reader@newsguy.com
> sending like this: (Non-working host is `d2')
> mailx -v -s "TEST 160912_211617 d2" reader@newsguy.com < ~/txtmsg.txt
>
> LOG: MAIN
>  <= harry@d2local.lan U=harry P=local S=440
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Notice the above difference .. in the working host it shows
>   harry@dv (hostname is dv.local.lan)
>   In the non-working host:
>   harry@d2local.lan (hostname is d2.local.lan)
>
> Somewhere in my setup exim4 is finding the hostname without the
> separating dot in d2.local.lan   and is using d2local.lan
>
> Which may be causing the failure:  Following the smtp otuput:
>
> -------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
>
>  delivering 1bjcKi-0001Ey-9B
> R: nonlocal for reader@newsguy.com
> LOG: MAIN
>   ** reader@newsguy.com R=nonlocal: Mailing to remote domains not supported
> LOG: MAIN
>  <= <> R=1bjcKi-0001Ey-9B U=Debian-exim P=local S=1650
> LOG: MAIN
>   Completed
> delivering 1bjcKi-0001F0-Fy
> R: nonlocal for harry@d2local.lan
> LOG: MAIN
>   ** harry@d2local.lan R=nonlocal: Mailing to remote domains not supported
> LOG: MAIN
>   Frozen (delivery error message)

> Or am I making too much of the missing dot and it really is that I've
> missed an important setting that lets exim4 deliver to outside of lan?

Run 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' as root on the second host to repair
the hostname. See §8.5.3. of the documentation[1] for details.

You can also inspect the working settings on the first machine using
'debconf-show exim4-config'.

1: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s05.html.en

--

Liam