Re: exim4 some config error causing error how to pinpoint

Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> writes:

> dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

Thanks, that was pretty painless.  And thanks for the url to the
documentation section.

I've now progressed on to where I was aiming for.

I wanted to have one debian box as main mail client.  Yet be able to
send mail from a couple of others.

I've managed to get that working by aiming the secondary hosts at the
main mail host as smarthost.  That main host is inturn aimed at an
internet smarthost.

So far all working except one glitch.

Here is the cast of characters:
HOST1 Main mail host
HOST2 secondary host
User1 HOST1
User2 HOST1
user HOST2

I can send a mail from HOST2 to a user on HOST1 using the correct
address.  user1@HOST1

That main host has only two users.  I can send mail from HOST2 to
only one of those users.  That is. if, from HOST2, I send mail
to a HOST1 user like:

  user1@HOST1   It arrives in user1 slot at /var/spool/mail/user1 on
HOST1.

However If I try sending to user2@HOST1 it never gets there. Even
though the smtp output on sending HOST2 appears to be saying it was
sent and received successfully.

   ------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------

orignating on HOST2

tmail user2@HOST1
sending like this:
mailx -v -s "TEST 160914_163910" user1@HOST1 < ~/txtmsg.txt
LOG: MAIN
  <= user@HOST2.local.lan U=user1 P=local S=422

smtp output:

 delivering 1bkGxi-0002L3-U4
R: smarthost for user2@HOST1
T: remote_smtp_smarthost for user1@HOST1
Connecting to HOST1.local.lan [192.168.1.5]:25 ... connected
  SMTP<< 220 dv ESMTP Exim 4.86 Wed, 14 Sep 2016 16:47:36 -0400
  SMTP>> EHLO HOST2.local.lan
  SMTP<< 250-dv Hello HOST2.local.lan [192.168.1.17]
         250-SIZE 52428800
         250-8BITMIME
         250-PIPELINING
         250 HELP
  SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<user@HOST2.local.lan> SIZE=1464
  SMTP>> RCPT TO:<user2@HOST1>
  SMTP>> DATA
  SMTP<< 250 OK
  SMTP<< 250 Accepted
  SMTP<< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
  SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
  SMTP<< 250 OK id=1bkH5k-0008FT-UQ
  SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: MAIN
  => user2@HOST1 R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=HOST1.local.lan [192.168.1.5] C="250 OK id=1bkH5k-0008FT-UQ"
LOG: MAIN
  Completed

Mail never appears at HOST1 /var/spool/mail/user2