Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:44:14 AM
Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

Alan McConnell composed on 2016-09-13 20:50 (UTC-0400):

> when my home Debian install is, for some reason, not functional.  I apologize for
> Zimbra's inadequacies, failure to produce '>' as my home mutt so nicely does.

> Just because one is unable to get whatever she is using to compose a reply
> according to standards automatically doesn't excuse one who knows better from
> conforming. Apologizing, particularly while continuing to not conform, does
> not excuse. You are responsible for what you post, not your posting agent.
       I just put in the '>'s in the four lines above by hand.  I hope you are not
       going to ask me to continue to do so!  Especially since I've already explained
       that Zimbra(which is set up to deal with E-mail) is such a cruddy mess.

> But maybe someone
> can tell me why the installer can't look at the partitions and determine that there
> is some kind of OS already installed?  Why does it have to know about Windows 10 to
> behave sensibly?  "Curious minds . . . "
         I have just checked and when I sent this it was indented eight spaces or so.
         As is this present paragraph.  Do you(plural) see that it is indented?  or does
         your(plural) mail reader simply delete the spaces?  I ask, because I don't like
         to be chewed out when I'm doing my (present) level best to conform with
         expectations.  Of course, it could be that Zimbra deletes the preliminary spaces
         before sending the mail out.  I could tell you tales about how Gmail mucks with
         what one has written before it sends the mail.

It does seem curious that the Debian installer would need knowledge of a
particular Windows version in order to provide a boot menu selection for it,
rather than simply having one that says "Windows", booting from whatever
non-native/NTFS filesystem it happens to find containing anything resembling
boot sector code.
         Yep.  I have been back to my Jessie in the meantime, and run os-prober.
         I didn't attempt to copy down on a piece of paper what it wrote; trust me
         that it was unenlightening garbage.

> Should you be game to try installing Jessie again, you might try a network
> installation started via a Stretch installer.
         Jeez!  I can't even run X11 on my present install(*) let alone get on
         line.

(*)  Does anyone here know how to create a .Xauthority file?  That is one of the
things the Jessie installer failed to provide me with.

Best wishes,

Alan