Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

Alan McConnell composed on 2016-09-13 20:50 (UTC-0400):

Lisi Reisz composed:

Gene Heskett wrote:

Now I am going to push back Alan.

If you are going to come in here and berate folks about this and that,
the first thing you need to do is to train your email agent

(wth is "X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.2.6_GA_2926 (ZimbraWebClient - GC46
(Win)/7.2.6_GA_2926)" never heard of it)
https://www.itg.ias.edu/content/logging-zimbra-web-client
Interesting that the IAS uses Zimbra.  I've been after Paul Heller for years
to get rid of Zimbra, a huge clunky webmail interface, and I only use it when
when my home Debian install is, for some reason, not functional.  I apologize for
Zimbra's inadequacies, failure to produce '>' as my home mutt so nicely does.

Just because one is unable to get whatever she is using to compose a reply according to standards automatically doesn't excuse one who knows better from conforming. Apologizing, particularly while continuing to not conform, does not excuse. You are responsible for what you post, not your posting agent.

But maybe someone
can tell me why the installer can't look at the partitions and determine that there
is some kind of OS already installed?  Why does it have to know about Windows 10 to
behave sensibly?  "Curious minds . . . "

As explained by Brian on 2016-09-13 15:40 (UTC+0100), first came Jessie, then came Windows 10, and an apparent solution has since been provided for those who choose to install a Debian version younger than Windows 10.

It does seem curious that the Debian installer would need knowledge of a particular Windows version in order to provide a boot menu selection for it, rather than simply having one that says "Windows", booting from whatever non-native/NTFS filesystem it happens to find containing anything resembling boot sector code.

Should you be game to try installing Jessie again, you might try a network installation started via a Stretch installer. Possibly (I haven't tried, and not only do I have no interest in kicking either of my sleeping dog Windows 10s, I'm exclusively responsible for primary bootloader maintenance on all my computers, and rarely allow os-prober to run.) the os-prober shortcoming that troubled you might be avoided in such manner.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/