Re: Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

Hi Richard

I for one always make a minimal install, which means i only install the base. (You can select that in tasksel during the installation)

From there on i build the system so to speak myself. Installing xorg and the needed video driver, the core package for my DE of choice (which currently is gnome) and then i install my display manager of choice (i use gdm atm).
After that you either start gdm yourself by doing:
# systemctl enable gdm && systemctl start gdm
or you simply do a reboot... then you should be presented with your display manager of choice and you can login to your DE.

About your problem with having to less applications installed with the core mate package:
Have a look at the mate-desktop-environment meta package:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mate-desktop-environment
There you can see which applications get pulled in, you can select them yourself and then you can install the mate-desktop-environment-core package and add the software you need.

I hope this helps you

Best regards

mo