Re: Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

On Thu 01 Sep 2016 at 14:30:58 -0400, Stefan.schultz19.5.1991 wrote:

> Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.
>
> Hello Debian support,

Hello Stefan. There is only me in the office at the moment but the Night
Shift should be along later.

> Last week I installed a few updates to Ubuntu 14.04. It installed the
> updates and then froze whilst installing Ununtu's grub. After the
> re-boot, Ubuntu was the only choice of O/S. No sign of Debian.

"No sign of Debian" is not our responsibility; contact Ubuntu about it.

> After a few hours I finally got Debian recovery to reinstall the Grub
> on the MBR of the SSD.

Good thinking,

> Some notes.

[Snip]

> TWO QUESTIONS.
>
> 1/ Can anybody explain why the Ubuntu update deleted/removed the
> Debian GRUB?

Ubuntu installs its own GRUB to the MBR. However, the menu it produces
should show all the other OSs.

You would experience the same if you installed another Debian to another
partition. It installs its own GRUB to the MBR and produces a new menu.
If that menu did not have all the other OSs it would be a bug. We would
then spring into action.

> 2/ Is there a Debian approved GRUB boot customizer? I can't find one
> mentioned anywhere.

Please say what you mean by "boot customizer".