Re: Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

Stefan.schultz19.5.1991 composed on 2016-09-01 14:30 (UTC-0400):

Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

Last week I installed a few updates to Ubuntu 14.04. It installed the updates and then froze whilst installing Ununtu's grub. After the re-boot, Ubuntu was the only choice of O/S. No sign of Debian.

After a few hours I finally got Debian recovery to reinstall the Grub on the MBR of the SSD.

Some notes.

128GB SSD /dev/sda (GRUB finally reinstalled here)

Partions

60GB Ubuntu /dev/sda1
4GB Ubuntu swap /dev/sda8
54GB Debian 'Jessie' /dev/sda7 (unlocked)
6GB Debian swap /dev/sda6 (unlocked)

GRUB

4GB Debian GRUB /dev/sda5 (will not boot from this)
Ubuntu boot loader is installed here too.

Encrypted partitions

54GB Debian 'Jessie' /dev/mapper/sda7_crypt
6GB Debian swap /dev/mapper/sda6_crypt

TWO QUESTIONS.

1/ Can anybody explain why the Ubuntu update deleted/removed the Debian GRUB?

Last installed wins always. This gets repeated at update time of a previous installation, which is what just happened to you.

This has been explained countless times countless places. Whenever any subsequent installation is performed, Windows or Linux, the subsequent installer will overwrite the MBR with native code - *unless* you take affirmative steps to prevent it from doing so. The how and why is somewhat complicated, so in simplest terms, the best thing to do is disallow installing anything to the MBR. In practical terms you can't do this with Windows, so if Windows will be subsequent, then all you can to is take steps in advance to minimize the disruption and ease recovery, something easily done in about a minute if familiar with the process and planned for.

2/ Is there a Debian approved GRUB boot customizer? I can't find one
mentioned anywhere.

Booted to Ubuntu, running os-prober ought to find Debian and put it in its Grub2 menu. If you want Debian to be the default, first either reconfigure the default selection in Ubuntu, or boot Debian to have it reinstall the bootloader. On very next boot to Ubuntu, reconfigure Ubuntu to boot from its / partition.

Is it possible to resolve this? This would be a pain in the butt, if I had
to do this at every Ubuntu update!

At least one of the of the two installations needs to have its bootloader reconfigured to its / partition instead of MBR.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/