Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

Joe wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:27:51 +0200
> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry for not being able to answer earlier. There are some points here that
need to be emphasized.

>> > Lucky you!
>> >
>> > Lisi
>>
>> Luck is something, that is out of scope in terms of software. Use
>> authorized SMTP servers.
>
> Who authorises them, if not the owner of the domain? Should our
> governments expect to be paid for email server licences?

No one authorizes them, but they are free to accept or reject the
communication with you. The same way that you may reject communication with
others

>> This means you can not install on your linux
>> box an smtp server, send an email and expect it to be delivered.
>
> I have done so, for about fifteen years. I like it that way.

There are surely way to do this, but in conjunction to the above it boils
down to trust. Trust is fundamental to interaction of any kind.

>> If
>> it is your provider, change it or talk to them. It is not common that
>> messages are rated as spam, when they come out from legal MX records.
>
> The MX record is not involved in sending. Many companies outsource
> their anti-spamming, or for other reasons use completely different
> sending and receiving servers.
>
> What you need are complementary domain host A record and IP address
> PTR records, pointing to each other, along with an ISP which doesn't
> host bulk emailers and is otherwise willing to keep itself off
> blacklists.

Yes agreed MX was wrongly stated here by me.

>> As I said DMARC initiative is going on at the moment (and since
>> couple of years) and it will affect the mailing in positive way I
>> hope.
>
> The main problem with anything like that is that many people have
> relatively complex email arrangements, e.g. forwarding from a number of
> email addresses to another, and these tend to get broken by security
> measures. A couple of years ago my ISP, who had provided email services
> based on sub-domains, outsourced them to an Exchange-based system using
> the MS SPF system. I don't use the provided sub-domain, so it didn't
> involve me, but there was a lot of trouble about it, and eventually the
> ISP grudgingly provided another pair of MX records for a SMTP server
> which did not implement this system.

... and the SPF was configured by default ("next" > "next" style) ... come
on ...

The problem is trust and trust must be established, perhaps in 5y we'll see
another way of mail communication. I do not follow the future that closely,
but for now DMARC seems to be the only way most of the communities and
companies take. I recently got involved into DMARC related project and it
sounds at least promissing.

> Email is still a useful messaging protocol, it is somewhat broken, but
> the cure absolutely must not be worse than the disease, or we'll all
> end up using Facebook.

It is not broken - the design just gets abused too often.

regards