Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Wed 17 Aug 2016 at 19:57:25 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Wed 17 Aug 2016 at 14:27:16 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:32:47PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > > Having said that, if you want something truly decentralized you might look
> > > at:
> > > - gnutella chat
> >
> > It is decentralized, and as a result cannot implement reliable
> > delivery to offline users.
>
> The OP has
>
>   I'm looking for a decentralized instant message system ...
>
> Perhaps he should say what he means by "decentralized" and we can stop
> hunting about in the dark. Any method which needs offline delivery could
> be seen as centralised because the message has to go somewhere other
> than the intended destination.

I agree. The OP contains a contradiction anyway:

"instant message ... even if I'm not connected."

Decades ago, we solved this just by using notify (instant) and send (email)
together (on Phoenix/IBM 370 et seq.). I don't recall whether this was
discouraged. Using WTO (Write To Operator) for example would cause
immediate cancellation of a job.

Cheers,
David.