Re: A minimalist network

On 8/17/2016 10:05 AM, der.hans wrote:
Am 16. Aug, 2016 schwätzte Richard Owlett so:

moin moin Richard,

look at zeroconf. Both machines can independently setup
networking to talk
to each other.

The web hits I got for zeroconf indicated it's part of a support package for KDE, I'm using Mate. Don't know if that's a problem. http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi is still giving a 404 error so I can't check there. Didn't find any link at kde.org that looked promising.

I believe zeroconf came up somehow recently on a new box until I
fixed the
network cable, so it's likely an option during install.

ciao,

der.hans

I wish to connect two laptops via Ethernet.

The Debian machine is having various configurations of Jessie
installed. Consider it a laboratory experiment. It can have
multiple installs in a day. It intentionally has *NO* internet
connectivity. It has a small partition set aside for
preseed.cfg and miscellaneous scripts.

The second machine is running WinXP Pro SP3 and serves as
source of preseed and script files.

My internet searches turn up too much outdated information
and/or fine detail. Most link assume a server with multiple
clients. Better description would be a peer to peer setup. It
may be convenient to have the Windows machine act as a terminal
for the Debian machine.

Suggested search terms or links.
Thank you.