Re: Compiling Canon LiDE 220 driver from source

On Monday 15 August 2016 14:25:58 Brian wrote:
> On Mon 15 Aug 2016 at 14:23:36 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:
> > Le 15/08/2016 à 12:42, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > > Thanks, didier.  That is nice to know.
> > >
> > > So it should be in the up-to-date tar ball, if I were to succeed in
> > > sorting that out.  But are you suggesting that I would do better to
> > > backport from Stretch?  I had decided that the tar ball would be
> > > simpler and more sure. But perhaps now is the time to learn to
> > > backport!!
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > being lazy nowadays, if possible I avoid any source code compilation ;-)
> >
> > libsane-common unavailable in backports, I don't know if this could be
> > profitable to you to backport it yourself.
>
> A good guide to backporting is at
>
>   https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/12/15/howto-to-rebuild-debian-packages/
>
> A deb-src line in sources.list for unstable is needed to do
>
>   apt-get source libsane-common/unstable
>
> Then
>
>   apt-get build-deps libsane-common/unstable
>
> should get the dependencies from stable to build libsane-common and
> libsane.

I have got stuck.  Only slightly further on than I had already got stuck.
(apt-get said it wasn't downloading what I had already downloaded!)

root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files# apt-get build-deps libsane-common/testing
E: Invalid operation build-deps
root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files# dpkg-checkbuilddeps.
bash: dpkg-checkbuilddeps.: command not found
root@Eros:/home/lisi/Sane-Files# aptitude show apt
Package: apt
Essential: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.0.9.8.3

And somewhere while googling (I can't find it again!) I saw that build-deps is
only in apt >= to 0.5.  So I should have it.

I'm going to go and get lunch. :-( I have an invalid husband.  The last thing
I need is him back in hospital.

Thanks for the help.  I'll google some more after lunch.

Lisi