Re: Compiling Canon LiDE 220 driver from source

On Mon 15 Aug 2016 at 14:23:36 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le 15/08/2016 à 12:42, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
>
> > Thanks, didier.  That is nice to know.
> >
> > So it should be in the up-to-date tar ball, if I were to succeed in sorting
> > that out.  But are you suggesting that I would do better to backport from
> > Stretch?  I had decided that the tar ball would be simpler and more sure.
> > But perhaps now is the time to learn to backport!!
> >
> > Lisi
>
> being lazy nowadays, if possible I avoid any source code compilation ;-)
>
> libsane-common unavailable in backports, I don't know if this could be
> profitable to you to backport it yourself.

A good guide to backporting is at

  https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/12/15/howto-to-rebuild-debian-packages/

A deb-src line in sources.list for unstable is needed to do

  apt-get source libsane-common/unstable

Then

  apt-get build-deps libsane-common/unstable

should get the dependencies from stable to build libsane-common and
libsane.

> you could test a stable/testing mix in your sources.list with pinning
> preferences to follow sane in testing.
> or you could stay stable and try a quick and dirty trick in jessie by
> jnserting:
>
> # Canon LiDE 220
> usb 0x04a9 0x190f
>
> in your /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf: I don't know how is designed the
> genesys backend, so maybe it is sufficient to obtain a functionning
> scanner, minus the LiDE220 specificities?

I reckon the second approach will not work because the libraries need
an adjustment too.