Re: (OT kinda) Newly-discovered TCP flaw

On 2016-08-12, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

>> Simply using the command 'net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit =
>> 999999999' as root sets the value, but does not survive a reboot.
>> Running 'sysctl -p' with no argument after having issued the above
>> command does nothing but reread '/etc/sysctl.conf' (and gives no
>> output). 'sysctl -p xxx.conf' echos the new value in xxx.conf.
>>
> And if this has been installed into the /etc/sysctl.conf file, what will
> it be set to after a reboot?

To the new value you've entered in that file. 'sysctl -p
/etc/sysctl.conf/' or 'sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.d/xxx.conf' sets the value
while the kernel is running.  That value will be "parsed within
sysctl(8) at boot time." To create a new value you either edit
/etc/sysctl.conf or make a new file under the /etc/sysctl.d directory
ending in '.conf'.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

> I interpret that, since the word "at run time" in that README to mean a
> reboot.  And I do not see an exception in that README that should muddy
> that meaning.

I do not have the phrase "at run time" anywhere in my README.

Tata,

Curt

--
Même l’avenir n’est plus ce qu’il était.
Paul Valéry