Re: Debian server for backups of Windows clients

Hi, David.

On 09/08/16 00:21, David Christensen wrote:

>> He also mentions a [Cygwin rsync] problem to doing backup over open files. Have you
>> experienced that problem?

> I'm not sure.  It's been many moons since I tried to do automated
> backups of Windows machines using rsync.

Well, I've been testing with rsync+ssh from Cygwin on a KVM virtual
machine with Windows Server 2012. So far everything has worked smoothly:

viper@orion:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        8.5
Codename:       jessie
viper@orion:~$ rsync --stats --progress -vae ssh
Administrator@10.1.0.33:/cygdrive/c/Users/Administrator/Documents
/ImagenCorporativa /tmp/Backup/
Administrator@10.1.0.33's password:
receiving incremental file list
(...)
ImagenCorporativa/disk01.img
  3,221,225,472 100%    1.19MB/s    0:43:02 (xfr#2, to-chk=53/56)
(...)

Number of files: 56 (reg: 48, dir: 8)
Number of created files: 56 (reg: 48, dir: 8)
Number of deleted files: 0
Number of regular files transferred: 48
Total file size: 3,226,528,378 bytes
Total transferred file size: 3,226,528,378 bytes
Literal data: 3,226,528,378 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 1,360
File list generation time: 0.012 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 996
Total bytes received: 3,227,319,409

sent 996 bytes  received 3,227,319,409 bytes  1,244,868.04 bytes/sec
total size is 3,226,528,378  speedup is 1.00
viper@orion:~$ rsync --stats --progress -vae ssh
Administrator@10.1.0.33:/cygdrive/c/Users/Administrator/Documents/ImagenCorporativa
/tmp/Backup/
Administrator@10.1.0.33's password:
receiving incremental file list

Number of files: 56 (reg: 48, dir: 8)
Number of created files: 0
Number of deleted files: 0
Number of regular files transferred: 0
Total file size: 3,226,528,378 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 1,360
File list generation time: 0.015 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 32
Total bytes received: 1,379

sent 32 bytes  received 1,379 bytes  166.00 bytes/sec
total size is 3,226,528,378  speedup is 2,286,696.23

As you can see, the transfer was over than 3 GB and it were not hung. I
did several tests and all were without problems.

I wonder if in the mentioned episodes of hangs you remember whether the
transferred volume was higher or lower than in this case (or it hung
randomly).

As a side note, the larger file (disk01.img) took more than 40 minutes
to be transferred. So the rsync was running quite some time without
hanging. While it does not have to do with the topic of this thread, in
rsync progress data we can see that the average transfer rate was 10
Mbps. I guess it will have to do with that I'm going through a wireless
network. In this testing the Debian computer is a notebook connected to
the wireless router and the KVM Windows is on the wired network. May it
be so large the decrease in transfer speed? The wireless router is
TPLink WDR3600 with OpenWRT.

Kind regards,
Daniel