Re: Debian server for backups of Windows clients

Hi, Darac.

On 03/08/16 05:49, Darac Marjal wrote:

>> I'm thinking deploy a Debian backup server using Dirvish (which is based
>> on rsync --- indeed, we have packaged it in Debian). On previous
>> occasions I implemented these solutions seamlessly with GNU/Linux
>> clients, but now I would like add Windows clients.
>>
>> The idea of using Dirvish is because I had a very good experience.
>> Besides using rsync with hard links for backups of files that do not
>> change from backup to the next allows a considerable saving of disk
>> space.
>>
>> But to use Dirvish with Windows clients I will need to install an SSH
>> server. I had thought that an alternative would be to use Cygwin, but
>> was looking for documentation and I have not found any uniform process
>> to install and configure a Cygwin SSH server on Windows.
>>
>> I would like to know if anyone has had any experience in this regard
>> that could share.

> Can I recommend BackupPC (also in Debian), which performs similar
> de-duplication to dirvish (hard links between identical files with
> optional compression as well), but can pull files from computers using
> rsync, ftp or, relevant to you, SMB. That is, it can backup Windows
> clients without any client software being installed on them.
>
> Obviously, SMB will probably be slower than rsync as you'll need to pull
> every file every time, but you may find that's preferable to trying to
> get rsync installed on your Windows machines.

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't the opportunity to use BackupPC,
but I will investigate it.

As I said in another message of this thread, I thought that an
alternative could be to mount on the Debian server the filesystem for
the Windows client using Samba and then doing rsync against the mount
point, but I'm not sure how efficient it can be. We also have security
implications as the backup server and the Windows computer are in
different offices, so the backup would be over the Internet.

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,
Daniel