Re: Instralling from offline sources: broadcom

On Tue 26 Jul 2016 at 14:24:15 -0700, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I need to install the broadcom-wl wireless adaptor drivers.  I have no

This was the first thing that struck me - there is no broadcom-wl package.

> connection to the internet on this new installation.  So it's either this

This was the second thing. What did you do to install Debian?

> or tethering the iphone to get this package installed.
>
> Both of these pathways require a plethora of steps to install various
> dependencies for dependencies.  I was a debian user in the early 90s, and
> remember alarm at the penchant of devels to split everything into packages;
> now I can remembery why....
>
> Anyway, I need build-depends.  Make, of all things, is one of the most
> difficult things to install.

The third thing is that you appear to be going off on a tangent.

> I have installed stretch.  Up to this point, it's a fantastic process of
> installation.  As of now, several problems have kept me back.
>
> 1.  I used a usb of HD medium, so many packages are on this usb drive, but
> it's beyond me how to get apt-get to recognize the USB drive as a rep, and
> go ahead and complete the update.  Probably I need a list of packages.

Is "usb of HD medium" some indication of how you installed? Please explain.

> 2.  I cannot find make on this USB drive in pool.
>
> 3.  I cannot find patch on this USB drive.

What is on the drive? How did it get there?