Re: New software suggestion - whom to ask?

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2016, 08:39:02 schrieb Richard Owlett:

> What is package.
I meant a *.deb package.

> What's special about it.

It is a gui for unexperienced people, who want to loginn into a mobile
broadband. Crappy network-manager or wvdial.conf or editing ppp configurations
are not the kind of usabilty for those people.

> The functionality may already be present.

Yes (see above), but not really usefull for many users. In earlier times there
was umtsmon, which is still working well, but needs old qt4 libs - which makes
it no more installable from the repo or needs special know-how to get it
running.

Then there might be Betavine-Connection-Manager, which is no more available.

All at all, looking at all these points, debian gets very "unlucky" here.

I tried a lot of options, and found out, that the best solution IMO is
"umtskeeper", which includes sakis3g. Nice gui, very easy to use, and works
like a charm. And it is free!

But there is no deb-package available and a start icon (and also entry for a
menu) is still missing. Things, experienced packagers may be fix in less then
10 minutes, whilst I will need a week for the same.

So, just a suggestion, if no one else except me is interested and is thinking
like me, then I will not care any more, too.

As I said, I am not the decider man here.

Happy hacking

Hans