Re: password problem

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:23:32AM +0000, der.hans wrote:
> Am 11. Jul, 2016 schwätzte Bob Holtzman so:
>
> moin moin Bob,
>
> >Running a new hard drive in my Thinkpad 420 laptop and trying to install
> >jessie. Everything went fine until it failed to configure the net work
> >with dns. Strange, since I had a good connection to the modem and was
> >getting a signal at the ethernet connection where the cable connected to
> >the laptop.
> >
> >That wasn't a show stopper since I could configure manually once the
> >installation was complete.
> >
> >The installation proceeded smoothly to the end and I tried to log in.
> >That's where the wheels came off. The os wouldn't take the password no
> >matter how many tries there were.
>
> Have you tried from a virtual terminal as well as from X?
>
> I'm certain you know how to get there, but just in case you don't remember...
>
> <ctrl><alt><f1>

Hans,

Thanks for your oh, so diplomatic reply ("I'm certain you know..."). I
used to know but, age has taken it's toll on my memory.

The virtual terminal worked as advertised.

After getting in and playing around a while I decided to try logging in
from X. No dice. It turns out that I was entering my full name in the
top field. Tried with my user id and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the prod.

--
Bob Holtzman
A man is a man who will fight with a sword or