Re: epson L210 scan

On 2016-07-13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 13 Jul 2016 at 16:34:26 +0000, Curt wrote:
>
>> On 2016-07-13, peekaa <peekaa@email.cz> wrote:
>>
>> > [dll] load: searching backend `epkowa' in
>> > `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane:/usr/lib/sane'
>> > [dll] load: trying to load
>> > `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1'
>> > [dll] load: couldn't open
>> > `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1' (No such file or
>> > directory)
>> > [dll] load: trying to load `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1'
>> > [dll] load: couldn't open `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1' (No such
>> > file or directory)
>> > [dll] load: couldn't find backend `epkowa' (No such file or directory)
>>
>> Why can't it find the backend 'epkowa'?  Isn't that the one it should be
>> using?  Looking through the debs provided by Epson leads me to believe it
>> is.
>
> You are correct, epkowa is a backend sane is looking for because it is
> specified in dll.conf. It first looks in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/
> but it cannot find what it needs. It falls back to searching for the
> needed library in /usr/lib/sane/ but no luck there either.
>
>>      You did download their tar.gz file and run 'install.sh' without
>> error, right?
>
> install.sh is either doing the wrong thing or there was a user error in
> using it. We'll probably never know.

I didn't look at the script to see what it does. Maybe just installing
the debs individually with gdebi would be best.

> What is more intriguing is that neither the epson nor the epson2
> backends give anything usable and the logs have no indication of what is
> causing it. It is also a little perturbing because the L210 is supposed
> to have complete support with epson2.

He snipped the very long scanimage -L debugging output at that precise
point, I believe (epson2).  Maybe there was something interpretable in
there.

--
Même l’avenir n’est plus ce qu’il était.
Paul Valéry