password problem

Running a new hard drive in my Thinkpad 420 laptop and trying to install
jessie. Everything went fine until it failed to configure the net work
with dns. Strange, since I had a good connection to the modem and was
getting a signal at the ethernet connection where the cable connected to
the laptop.

That wasn't a show stopper since I could configure manually once the
installation was complete.

The installation proceeded smoothly to the end and I tried to log in.
That's where the wheels came off. The os wouldn't take the password no
matter how many tries there were.

I've run into this before and it always ended in a reinstall, which
didn't always solve the problem.

--
Bob Holtzman
A man is a man who will fight with a sword or