Re: off topic Question of the day..

On Monday 11 July 2016 07:18:44 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 11 July 2016 05:02:42 David Wright wrote:
> > "Please remember that the greater the "lb"
> > associated with a paper not always determines that it is a thicker
> > sheet. Notice that the 67lb Vellum Bristol has a lower gsm than a
> > 65lb cover because they are two different categories of cardstocks
> > and are scaled differently." (paperworks.com)
>
> I glazed over when Gene started to talk about 28 lbs of paper.  28 lbs
> is 2 stone.  I couldn't carry 28 lbs of paper.

I can, but its done carefully else I damage me back some more.

But put it in this context Lisi, really nice output one usually puts on
24 lb. A 500 sheet ream is pretty close to 2" thick, just a little long.
This 28 lb stock is not quite 3" thick for a 500 sheet ream. And I share
the dislike for 20 lb, it will ocassionaly hang up in the printer, but
it quietly says cheap if you hand it out too.

The manuals for LinuxCNC run above the 700 page range, so to keep
reasonably up to date I kill a tree about every 2 years for a fresh
copy. I do them duplex, on 24 lb & punch for a 3 ring binder.

But since we finally have a decent pdf reader in evince, I am trying to
break me of reaching for a 10 pound binder that it may take me 15
minutes to find what I want in it.  That is not productive use of ones
remaining time.

> I buy paper by the 500 sheets!!  And you don't need to  know what the
> numbers (80 gsm etc) actually mean, though I do.  100 is when you
> really want something to look nice.  120 is thin card, 90 is what I
> used on all documents leaving the house for some years (because I was
> in business) and I now use 80 because I am skinflint in my old age.
> 70, the once I ever bought it some years ago, caused my printer to jam
> up.
>
> Lisi

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)