Re: off topic Question of the day..

On Sun 10 Jul 2016 at 23:22:29 (-0400), Doug wrote:
> On 07/10/2016 09:20 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> >On Sunday, July 10, 2016 08:33:37 PM David Wright wrote:
> >> BTW I do find American paper weights about as obfuscated as anything.
[...]
> >> Yes, paper; but how much?
> >
> >From a quick google search:
> >
> ><quote>
> >
> >What does 20 lb paper mean? | Yahoo Answers
> ><https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080604062331AAvp9Gk>
> >
> >https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...
> >
> >Jun 4, 2008 - Best Answer: "Paper weight refers to the weight of a
> >500-sheet ream of 17" x 22" paper. Each of these sheets is
> >equivalent to four letter size ...
> >
> ></quote>
> >
> I've seen several places where this definition is shown, so it must
> be correct. If you Google
> for paper weight, there will be at least one site that mentions
> paper weight in pounds and
> also in grams / cm-squared, which may make sense to the Europeans
> reading this but
> not to me!

gsm is grams per square metre. The numbers may be unfamiliar to
people in USA/Canada (75gsm is your normal 20lb copy paper) but
as for making sense, it could hardly be simpler---the weight in
grams of a square meter of the actual paper concerned.
Where's the sense in "Please remember that the greater the "lb"
associated with a paper not always determines that it is a thicker
sheet. Notice that the 67lb Vellum Bristol has a lower gsm than a 65lb
cover because they are two different categories of cardstocks and are
scaled differently." (paperworks.com)

Cheers,
David.