Re: off topic Question of the day..

On 07/10/2016 09:20 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 08:33:37 PM David Wright wrote:

> BTW I do find American paper weights about as obfuscated as anything.

> I think you need to serve an apprenticeship in printing to have a clue.

> There'a website http://okpaper.com/calculators/lbs-to-gsm that claims

> to do the conversion. Type in 20 lbs and it spits out

> GSM text 29.6

> GSM cover 54.16

> They're not seriously telling me that the standard US paper weight

> (20lbs) comes out at those gsm values. 80gsm is standard, and if you

> buy 70gsm at cheap stores, there's a fair chance it'll misfeed in the

> printer. 60gsm comes in writing tablets and would be hopeless in any

> machine. (I haven't a clue what "text" and "cover" mean.)

> Of course, the fundamental problem with the American system is 20 lbs

> of what? Yes, paper; but how much?

From a quick google search:

<quote>

What does 20 lb paper mean? | Yahoo Answers

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...

Jun 4, 2008 - Best Answer: "Paper weight refers to the weight of a 500-sheet ream of 17" x 22" paper. Each of these sheets is equivalent to four letter size ...

</quote>

I've seen several places where this definition is shown, so it must be correct. If you Google
for paper weight, there will be at least one site that mentions paper weight in pounds and
also in grams / cm-squared, which may make sense to the Europeans reading this but
not to me!