Re: off topic Question of the day..

On Sunday 10 July 2016 17:27:45 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 10 Jul 2016 at 00:09:34 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > It feeds the short edge in first, unlike the paper trays, both of
> > which can be set for several different sizes, but they both feed
> > long edge first. So once its been grabbed, there is still about
> > 14.25 inches of paper hanging out in empty space with zero guidance
> > because the curl of the paper as it passes over the top edge of this
> > "door", lifts the paper a good 1/4" above and totally free of the
> > guides. Most worthless design I have ever seen.  Paper centering and
> > feed alignment are completely at the mercy of the human trying to
> > insert the paper centered and square. And I do not believe that if a
> > sheet of Lexan was added to extend the paper support for at least
> > 8", and it was screwed to the plastic of the door, the stoppers
> > incorporated into the plastic hinges would actually survive a sheet
> > of tagboard laying on it, combined with the weight of the Lexan, too
> > heavy.  A sheet of 28 lb copy paper is ok, but not a hand laying on
> > it.
>
> Could you attach your Lexan to a wall behind the printer and then
> push the printer close to the Lexan to leave only a small gap for
> the paper to have to cross? Like (if your unicode is up to it):

I gave up on the lexan idea, as too heavy and thick.  Some 3/4" mahogany
strips glue to a sheet of 28 gauge alu are about whats needed, with
another strip of thin oak under the front edge of the alu.  Some screws
so the heads hit the end of the door when I lay the front 1/4 of alu on
the door will serve to align it angularly, while two more bits of thin
wood attached to the underside runners that support the oak, so each one
can be adjusted to center it up by pushing on the sides of the door on
the existing guides need to be fitted yet, and another strip underneath
it at the rear to serve as a lift handle for one hand, while the other
encourages to paper to go in and be picked up by the feed grippers.  It
will slide in far enough to beep by the weight of the paper, but needs
help to get it to close the grippers on the end of the paper.  Tomorrows
project now as I got sidetracked working on the Sheldon lathes CNC
conversion, while glue was setting on this thing.

I've obviously got too many hobbies.

> ┊←wall
> ┊
> ┊ ↙ Lexan (should be a shallower angle)
> ┊  ╲
> ┊   ┌╌╌╌╌┐←printer (push it towards Lexan)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)