Re: off topic Question of the day..

On Saturday 09 July 2016 21:51:52 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, July 09, 2016 07:14:24 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I believe it is. Checking, yes. If that is the correct size, and its
> > truly borderless when selected as "tabloid(borderless)", if the
> > paper guidance can be improved, that would be ideal as when I
> > trimmed it up and put it on a big sheet of light plywood this
> > morning, I was trimming about 1/2" from all 4 edges on average.  And
> > it was set for "A3(borderless)" at the time.  What size in our
> > antiquated inch system is A3?
>
> A3 is what I consider a metric size (well, it is an ISO standard)--in
> inches it is 11.7 x 16.5 in.

Humm, wider but shorter.

> If the only choices on that printer feed door are in the A series of
> sizes, that may explain why the feed doesn't work to align the paper
> properly.

I was just trying to set the guides, such as they are, to fit the width
of the paper, but had to tape then down to hold them as it takes only a
gram or maybe two to move them, so they slide equal amounts in both
directions the instant a sheet of paper touches them.  Useless design
other than the auto center the cross coupling enforces if you tape it
down so it cannot move.

> I'd start by trimming one sheet of 11x17 paper to 11x16.5 and see if
> that feeds better.
>
> I don't know how easy it is to buy A series paper in the US.

It feeds the short edge in first, unlike the paper trays, both of which
can be set for several different sizes, but they both feed long edge
first. So once its been grabbed, there is still about 14.25 inches of
paper hanging out in empty space with zero guidance because the curl of
the paper as it passes over the top edge of this "door", lifts the paper
a good 1/4" above and totally free of the guides. Most worthless design
I have ever seen.  Paper centering and feed alignment are completely at
the mercy of the human trying to insert the paper centered and square.
And I do not believe that if a sheet of Lexan was added to extend the
paper support for at least 8", and it was screwed to the plastic of the
door, the stoppers incorporated into the plastic hinges would actually
survive a sheet of tagboard laying on it, combined with the weight of the
Lexan, too heavy.  A sheet of 28 lb copy paper is ok, but not a hand
laying on it.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)