Re: enumerating with Grub*

David Wright composed on 2016-07-08 00:04 (UTC-0500):

What I'm trying to find out is why you wrote "Grub2 *inexplicably*
counts partitions starting with 1" (my emphasis) when everything
I've ever seen counts partitions from 1 (with the notable exception
of old Grub). I think they've been counted from 1 since their invention.

The inexplicable part is a consequence of never having seen anything explaining *why* the change that breaks backward compatibility with itself and the compendium of archived help discussion was made, nor why made only for partition enumeration, not disk enumeration, thus mixing two counting methods within single configuration strings.

However, I've fallen behind in disk technology, still using PATA
disks except for caddies. Hence my question about newfangled devices.
Do any of those expect you to count their partitions from other than 1?
I'm just flailing around for a reason why old Grub might have done what
it did, because you haven't yet given one.

I wasn't trying to explain why it did what it did, only what it did.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/