Re: enumerating with Grub*

David Wright composed on 2016-07-07 20:03 (UTC-0500):

On Thu 07 Jul 2016 at 20:03:46 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:

Grub and Grub2 count drives starting with 0 (as a BIOS does).

Grub also counts partitions starting with 0.

Grub2 inexplicably counts partitions starting with 1.

I'm afraid I can't go back further than 1996 with Debian (but that was
the first release, 1.1 or buzz). At that time, Debian counted
partitions from 1, as did lilo. The old Grub definitely stood out
in starting from 0, which is why they spelled it out so carefully
in the docs, eg:
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/Naming-convention.html#Naming-convention

Now they have fallen into line, the Grub manual has to make sure you
realise it has been changed, eg
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Naming-convention

The most modern fdisk program I have is gdisk (for GPT disks) and it
counts partitions from 1. Is there some newfangled disk subsystem
that's passed me by which starts counting at zero?

I'm not aware of any that are "newfangled", but all the SCSI hosts I'm familiar with do as does a PC BIOS, count starting with 0, usually making the host, the eighth possible device in a SCSI chain, ID7.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/